Northeast Growing Company Featured Blog
DIY Cannabutter: The Complete How-To
Admit it; cannabutter sounds fancy. But if you’re just starting out, cannabutter may seem a little intimidating to make. Here’s the good news: you don’t have to be a connoisseur or chef to create your own.
This article will walk you through the complete how-to for making your DIY cannabutter:
What is cannabutter?
Cannabutter refers to the perfect mixture of weed and butter. It is one of the effortless ways to enjoy your cannabis-infused edibles. With cannabutter, you can intensify your intoxication effects for edible products and use it in multiple ways.
Potency level varies based on a few factors and cannabutter takes 45 minutes or longer before it kicks in. So it is advisable to ingest it in smaller portions. And wait at least 45 minutes before you have more.
How is cannabutter used?
Butter infused with cannabis or cannabutter can be used for baked goods or edible products. You can even use it as a spread for your typical toast or food additives. In fact, some people use cannabutter for their brownies, cakes, or cookies or simple sauteed meat, fish, or veggies in it. You can even use it to fry an egg up in the morning!
How do I make cannabutter?
Creating your own cannabutter is easy and simple. It only requires a few steps, including your time and patience. However, remember that butter often burns easily.
- 1 cup of water (8 ounces)
- 1 cup of unsalted butter (8 ounces)
- 1 cup decarboxylated ground cannabis (about 7-10 grams)
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Storage Container (for finished cannabutter)
- Cannabis grinder (For Decarboxylate Process)
- Saucepan, stock pot, double-boiler, or slow cooker
How to Properly Decarboxylate Your Cannabis
Before anything else, it is important to properly decarboxylate your cannabis. This process enables the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) within the marijuana plant. It stimulates the psychoactive properties of your weed products for maximum impact. NEVER use raw weed in your recipes.
Heat makes decarboxylation possible. To start this process, you should follow this procedure.
- Preheat the oven to at least 220ºF.
- Get the baking sheet and put the aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Carefully grind your cannabis and place it on the baking sheet. To avoid cannabis from burning, you should not grind it into the finest pieces.
- Put it inside the oven for 30-40 minutes. Stir them every 10 minutes to prevent burning.
- After heating, let it cool down for 30 minutes. The cannabis should appear with light toast and a golden brown texture.
- Store it in a closed container or jar once it cools down.
Now you’re ready to proceed with your recipe!
Step 1: Decarb Your Cannabis
The previous portion entails all the necessary details about the decarb process. It is a crucial step in creating cannabutter since adding raw cannabis will result in unfavorable results. Remember to pay attention to the entire decarboxylation process. Overcooked cannabis may affect the cannabutter’s taste and texture.
Step 2: Melt the Butter
You can proceed to butter melting once you complete step one. You are free to use any cooking method. Be it through the stove, crockpot, or double boiler. Here’s how you can perfectly steep your butter:
- Mix both 1 cup of water and butter. Water can aid in the butter melting process by evenly spreading heat through this step. The water won’t evaporate, so there’s nothing to worry about. Make sure to even out the water-butter ratio to your preferred volume.
- Set your stove or burner to the lowest heat/flame. The butter should be placed under 150 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. You may use your cooking thermometer to monitor the specific temperature.
- Add the decarbed weed to your mixture. Cover the saucepan or pot with a lid. This aids in heat distribution and prevents your butter from burning.
- Let your butter simmer at 150 degrees Fahrenheit for at least three hours. You may let it sit for a longer duration at the lowest temperature. But remember to add water and occasionally stir.
Step 3: Strain the Cannabutter Mixture
After achieving your desired cannabutter consistency, you can now proceed to one of the exciting parts, the straining. To properly strain your butter, you can use cheesecloth. Place the cheesecloth in a jar or pot and secure this with a rubber band. Gently pour the cannabutter mixture into the cheesecloth. It is important to take time in pouring to avoid overflowing.
Step 4: Refrigerate
If you successfully drain the cannabutter, let it cool down for at least 30 minutes. You can transfer it into your selected storage container and refrigerate it. Wait until it solidifies. It usually takes several hours, so it is best to leave it overnight. Finally, remove any excess water. You may now enjoy your cannabutter as soon as it completely turns solid.
Make sure to mark and safely store it in a secure container. You don’t want any pets, children, or roommates to accidentally ingest your cannabutter. Safety is top priority!
Recipes to Use Your Cannabutter in
Once you created your cannabutter, you can add it to various recipes. If you are looking for ideal cannabutter recipes, you can consider these options:
Buy the Best Cannabis for Your Cannabutter
To create the best homemade cannabutter, having excellent quality cannabis products is a must. So if you have trouble finding a trusted cannabis delivery in Bangor, Northeast Growing Company has been ahead in the game. They have over 19 years of extensive weed cultivation experience. So you will surely be at ease as Northeast Growing Company has exerted confidence and passion in this field.
Northeast Growing Company offers wide access to cannabis delivery in Bangor, Maine. They provide 420 direct-to-client delivery services along wholesale routes within the Penobscot County area. Not to mention, they provide superior cannabis products in town, such as but not limited to:
- Wicked Baked Wednesdays
- Strawberry Sour Cheesecake
- Northeast Growing Company Gift Box with Lock – filled with loads of cannabis goodies and favorite products to try!
Aside from these, Northeast Growing Company offers wholesale cannabis in Maine. Visit their website to learn more about these excellent deals, and place an order today.